4 January 2009

New Routines

Well, after feeling inspired by my own post last night, we got out this morning and tackled about half the mowing (with FIL's help), planted out those three trees that desperately needed it (another Valencia orange, navel orange, and pink lady apple to add to my collection), and cleaned out the chook run. Unfortunately the mites are back again, just when we thought we had them beat. Have to be more vigilant this time. I also bought a few kg's of apricots at the markets this morning for $3.50 a kilo, and they're drying in the dehydrator as we speak.

While all these things are good to get done, we're also busy working on making sure our lives are more organised to achieve things on a regular basis, not just in fits and starts like so often happens. I've been a fan of Flylady's methods since I first discovered her website several years ago, and have gone through stages of 'Flying' with her on and off. I don't have time right now for the e-mail lists, but I do think that her methods can, and have, worked well for our family. So yesterday I wrote up a new morning and evening routine. I've had routines for quite a while, but unfortunately they grew so much that I was too daunted to start them! And routines can't really help you if you don't do them! So DH and I wrote up some new ones together, limiting ourselves to three things in the morning, and three things in the evening. We could, of course, have put down many more things, but really wanted to stick to the essentials, and not overwhelm ourselves.

Morning Routine:
  • Unload Dishwasher
  • Make Beds
  • 5 minute hotspot* rescue

*hotspots are those places where clutter builds up, in our case the computer table, the kitchen bench, around the TV etc.

Evening Routine:

  • Load Dishwasher
  • Take out Compost
  • 5 minute room rescue on Lounge room

I'm pleased to report that even after only doing these routines for 2 days, we can see the difference. You might think that doing three such small things would be a drop in the ocean, but it's surprising how much of a difference it makes. No doubt in time we'll add to these routines, but for now we're just going to practice these until they're automatic.

3 comments:

Tania said...

Good luck with your new routines.

I also want to become more organised this year, stick to a budget and become fully healthy.
The budget is going to be the one I will have the most trouble with, I am going to be tough though.

I hope your husband soon finds a suitable job closer to where you live, so you can have him around more.

I was reading on one of my favourite simple living blogs (Scarecrows Garden) that those green bags aren't what they should be and that plastic bags will break down before they would.

Great initiative by you to find a good use for your old green bags. You are very resourceful.

Tania

Bel said...

Is that a flylady thing, the routines? I do that, but didn't know where I learned it. I have "first five" and "last five" every day.
1. dress & groom me
2. check kids same
3. healthy brekky
4. washing started
5. clean kitchen & bathroom
then
1. load of washing on timer
2. living area tidy
3. check kitchen's clean
4. shower
5. tidy my bedroom, my washing away

Sounds like you are on a roll!!

Rinelle said...

Thanks Tania. I find budgets hard too, especially finding the time to do them with a littlie. Yeah, I'm not too keen on green bags either, although they did the job for several years, and I guess saved several hundred plastic bags over the time.

Bel, flylady starts off with 3 things morning and night in her beginner routines, but I don't think it's an origional idea. I'm sure many people and places have their own take on it. It certainly helps, although some nights it's a struggle to even get 3 things done! Not surprising a bigger list didn't work, I used to get daunted before I even started.