23 July 2008

Murphy's Law

I suppose I should not be surprised, it has been the way of things since starting building, but none the less, today's drama takes the cake.

Our laminate flooring is booked in to be installed tomorrow. Since the contractor wanted to be paid on the day, and the bank wanted the floors installed before they would give us the money, yesterday we sent in all the forms for collecting a bank cheque. Bank arranged it all no problem, but made the mistake of sending the cheque direct to the contractor instead of for us to collect. Not a big problem, at least the money was arranged we thought.

Until I got a call from the contractor today, just confirming a booking, and in the process of explaining about the payment to them, I discovered that their head office had moved 12 months ago, and the invoice I had had the old address on it! So our cheque was effectively 'lost in the mail'.

A few phone calls later, and it was cancelled and a new cheque arranged, but we were a little concerned there. Murphy must really be out to get us on this, because if only one of those mistakes had been made, we would have been fine, but the combination of both was just too much.

Still, it's all organised now, so hopefully (touch wood yet again) it will all go smoothly now. I spent the afternoon down moving all the plants into the laundry/bathroom/toilet, where there are tiles, then mopping the rest of the house. I'm so glad I took the time to do this, as there was plaster dust everywhere. I had to keep getting fresh water every few square metres, as it was just so dusty. The thought of all that dust being trapped under our floors is scary.

All done now though, and hopefully tomorrow I'll be posting that the floors are down, and the house is finally finished! Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Dianna said...

Good luck!

Rinelle said...

Thanks! Unfortunately we're still waiting, but for a good reason, and hopefully only a few more days!