8 July 2008

Staying Warm

It's been a particularly cold day here today with the rain. Mostly, though it gets quite cold overnight (down to 6 degrees Celsius some nights), the sun warms things up to quite a comfortable temperature during the day. Now I know some of my readers in colder climates will laugh at me saying that 6 degrees is cold, but remember here that we aren't in a heated, insulated house, we're in an uninsulated shed. So 6 degrees outside usually equates to 7-8 degrees inside.

I have to admit, I'm not so dedicated to low power usage that I would forgo the use of a heater, if it actually achieved anything. Unfortunately, the large area (56 square metres), combined with the lack of insulation, means it barely makes a dent in the cold.

So we have to solve the problem in other ways. Firstly, I've hung pure wool blankets (bought secondhand for $5 each at the markets) around the walls near the bed. This adds a tiny bit of insulation, as well as stopping any drafts around the garage door (which our beds are up against). I wasn't sure if it was making any difference until I realised that sitting on the couch, also right next to a garage door, was much colder, so it must do something.

I've also put another wool blanket under DD's mattress protector, and another over the head of her bed, further insulating her. Most nights she sleeps in a fleece full sleep-suit, fleece sheets and two doona's (when she doesn't kick them off). This seems to have helped, as before we did all this, she was waking up cold at about 2am.

On a really cold night, I will heat up our two wheat bags, and DH and I will use them to warm up the sheets before we jump into bed, and then pop one in with DD if it seems cold. I'll also warm it up again for her when I get up in the early hours to go to the bathroom if it is cold.

DH and I stay warm enough with our doona and bamboo blanket (king size for extra snuggle room). We also use lots of jumpers, the slippers I've knitted, and the velvet patchwork blankets I made over our laps while we're awake. Again, if it's really cold, I'll heat up the wheat bag and put it in my lap while we're staying warm.

So that is how we do it, for very little cost, and very little energy outlay, and usually, it's quite comfortable. Can't wait till we're in the house and have insulation though!

2 comments:

Em said...

It is amazing what a difference a bit of insulation will make! I havent turned our heater on once this winter (and plan on keeping it this way). I just make sure the curtains are all closed and rug up in a few layers of warm clothes, but i think the fact that we are in a 30-ish year old double brick apartment helps...plus it gets sun ALL day. Such a difference from the last house where you would freeze without a heater on constantly! And it makes a pleasant difference to the power bill too.

Rinelle said...

Hi Em. Yes, we can see the difference now between here in the shed with minimal insulation, and down in the house which is properly insulated. It definately helps, as does the fact that the house gets more sun than it does here.