26 December 2008

Our Christmas

Since DH was working Christmas day, DD and I spent the day at my sisters. We had an absolutely lovely day, decorating her apartment and playing with her baby.

And now, since all the present giving is done, I can finally post some pics of my latest round of crafting. I don't have good pictures yet of DD's presents, though you can see the princess/fairy dress I made her in the above picture. I'll try to get some pictures of the fairy tent and Waldorf doll in the next few days.

This bag and cushion went to DH's mum and dad. DD drew the pictures with special fabric crayons, then I used them to make these. I think they went down rather well.

These went to my sister and her husband (I'm sure you can guess which is whose.) They picked out the materials, and I sewed them up. I think the colour combinations worked really well, even though the camo and orange isn't quite what I would have chosen!

The handmade gifts has been a great experience this year, and I've really enjoyed making them, and thinking of ideas for each person, though next year I think I should start the sewing a little earlier! I felt a little unsure on Christmas morning, when DD only had 6 presents to unwrap, and when we were wrapping them, I felt this urge to go straight out and buy more, but overall I think the smaller number was better. Yes, she was still looking for presents at the end of them, but then, aren't kids always looking for more presents? On the plus side, she actually looked at each of the presents as she was unwrapping them, stopping to put on the dress, and play in the tent before grabbing the next present, something that I DON'T think happens when there are large numbers of presents. I certainly don't think she was disappointed, and we could see from the expression on her face that she was thrilled with her princess tent. She also didn't become overwhelmed and overexcited as she seems to when there are large numbers of presents to open.

Hopefully we'll be strong enough to stick to a similar low key present opening next year.

4 comments:

carmen said...

Looks like you did well Tamara!!

Can't believe you were up our way though!!

Congrats on it all! :D

Carmen

Rinelle said...

Hi Carmen!

You had me scratching my head, thinking "I haven't been up Carmen's way," confused, until I worked it out. My sister had her baby up your way, but she actully lives in the inner city. She just couldn't find any hospitals/doctors there that she felt happy enough with to choose a coser hospital.

Anonymous said...

I love the pillow and bag. Last year I made all the grandparents cushions with the childrens pictures embroidered onto them.
Went down a treat!
Your gifts this year look wonderful! I am rather jealous I took the lazy way out and brought ours this year.
Emily

Rinelle said...

Thanks Emily! It is fun making your own, but it really is a lot of effort, and throughout it all I was continually saying "I totally understand why everyone buys presents!" But hopefully I'll still be game to give it a go again next year. (Although hopefully I'll also have the sense to start earlier!)