22 December 2008

One Christmas Job down...

Well, I finally sewed the last patch onto the Advent Calendar tonight. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Made using fabrics I had lying around, and only a few purchases of bits and pieces for the numbers from spotlight (a few iron on numbers and the like). You might recognise the backing as the material I was using in an attempt at crocheting a rag rug (that I gave up on). The pockets are made from some scrap Christmas material that I had from my mum, and the rectangles on the front from the felt that I bought a while ago (still have some left even).

I've tried to do each number slightly differently, to keep it interesting. I was partly inspired by this calendar here, although I of course, had to go the hard road of making it from scratch!

And here are some of my favourite pockets. I just love these sunflower buttons. They are just so cheerful and happy.

I love these cute little letter accents too, that I found in the scrapbooking section at Spotlight. I still have lots more, so no doubt more will make their appearance in other projects in the coming months.

And finally, this one was sheer inspiration if I do say so myself. DD wanted to use the little red plane button, and I knew I couldn't fit 23 of them on this square, when suddenly it occurred to me, sky writing!

And, as if Advent calendars and all the other things I have to get done weren't enough, I'm trying to turn this Thomas the Tank Engine tent into a princess castle! DD saw one at Spotlight (can you tell where I've been spending a fair bit of time lately), and wanted it. I managed to convince her that she might get it for Christmas, then by the time we got back there to get it, they were sold out! So are all the other Spotlight stores.

Do you think I can do it? Well, I'm sure I can, but in the remaining 3 nights before Christmas? (OK, cheating, I have actually started, but only last night...)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ring around the cheap stores or even the bigger store like kmart or big w..... pretty sure they stock them as well.....

Anonymous said...

forgot to leave my name.... Cheza from als... xxxx

Rinelle said...

Thanks Cheza. I looked around a few after we found out, and they didn't have anything like what I was looking for. I'd rather make it myself anyway, just an issue of time really.