14 December 2008

Watching and Waiting...

Remember the raised garden bed where I planted 9 watermelon seeds? Well, there is no sign of the raised bed itself now, and it's starting to send out feelers into the bed next to it!

There are two big watermelons, about 20+ cm long now, and dozens of smaller ones. They're growing so fast with all this rain we're having (thunderstorms 3 times a week or so I'd say), that they almost seem to double overnight. I'm hoping these big ones will be ready in time for Christmas, but they might not make it.

I think next year though, I'll plant the watermelons up the back, they are really a little too big for the area at the front. We're constantly stepping over watermelon vines. But then again, who cares if it means they get to eat yummy, juicy watermelons?

We do have another problem though. Our Biolytix wastewater treatment system is in the corner, right near these vines, and we had our first service a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately there is storm water getting into the tank, and the solution is to dig it up, and concrete it in. I'm hoping there will be some way for them to get to it that doesn't involve running a large piece of machinery over my watermelons (and the rest of the garden). Either that, or they don't get around to it until after we've eaten them all!

No comments: