8 October 2008

Garden Post!

Finally, as promised, here is a garden update post. After a very slow morning in which we managed to lose a lot of time doing nothing much at all, we got out to try to get things sorted. This was the front garden at about 11am this morning. And tonight, it looks much the same, minus a few sugar cane bales that were moved around the side for potato cages. Most of our work was in the side garden today, but before I get onto that, I'll post a few more pics of what is going on here in the front garden.

Here's some corn coming up in the first no-dig bed in the front garden. Not as good a strike rate as I had hoped for unfortunately. I planted 2 or 3 times this many seeds. Hoping a few more will come up yet, otherwise I'm going to have to replant into the spaces.

These little Johnny Jump Up's provide a nice bit of colour, if you ignore the weeds...

I'm building up quite a collection of potted plants around the planter box. It's easier to keep them all in once space to water them. There is loganberry and a youngberry (I think) in the big pots, my male and female kiwifruit in the red and blue hanging baskets, some red kidney beans in a punnet waiting to be planted out, and some pigeon peas yet to come up in the other punnets.

And finally, this is the raised bed I built. The sides are 10 bales of sugarcane mulch, 3 on each side, and 2 on each end. I then filled it with alternate layers of lucerne, Searles plant food, compost, sugarcane mulch from the chookpen, and manure. It's already started sinking a bit as it all breaks down. Hopefully this will be a really nice place to grow some of those nutrient hungry plants.

So far I've planted some watermelon seeds in it, and they're just starting to pop up.

And along the front fence, the sunflowers are getting ready to flower. They're about as tall as DD now, and I think I'm going to have to stake a couple, (or tie them to the fence), as the wind is pushing them over.

I was planning on writing about the side garden, and posting a few pics of that, but it's late, and I really need to get some sleep. But it does give me something to write about tomorrow!

No comments: