27 October 2008

Lemon Butter

I had my second go at making lemon butter today, and luckily it turned out much better than my first go. Not that I didn't eat and enjoy all of that first attempt, but this time, when I tasted a little of the spills, I was transported instantly back to eating my grandmother's lemon butter as a child. This is how lemon butter is supposed to taste!

I made up double the recipe this time, since I have plenty of eggs to use up. The chooks are laying 4-5 eggs a day now, and even though we are selling extras to friends and family (for $2 a dozen, to cover chook food), we still have more than we can eat. Double the recipe calls for a dozen eggs, so without your own chickens, this could be quite a costly recipe (although still probably cheaper than buying it at the store). And I think that the eggs from our free range chooks is what really made this special. Look at the colour of it! Most lemon butter you see these days is a kind of washed out yellow, not bright and vibrant like this. That is the actual colour of the lemon butter, no added colours, and no photoshopping the picture (well, not to alter the colour anyway).

By my calculations, this recipe probably ends up at about $1 a jar. All up, the eggs were free, the butter - 225g, about $1, the sugar - just under a 1kg, $1 (I buy it in bulk), and the lemons were $2 a kg, I used 5, not exactly sure what they weighed, but lets say 1kg, so $2. $5 for the 5 jars. I have no idea what lemon butter sells for in the shops, but I'm guessing that it's at least $2 a bottle, saving me 50%.

It's now sitting in the fridge with the remainder of my last strawberry jam. Hopefully, it should last me six months or so before I need to make more.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum yum! I wonder if honey & oil could be used in place of sugar and butter?

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious Rinelle. I have a lemon butter recipe on my blog that lasts forever stored, until you open, then you refridgerate. It's under the recipes label if you are interested.

Blessings:)

Gill - That British Woman said...

looks lovely I too have a recipe on my blog for lemon curd. I got it from "The Red House" blog I think? I know I linked back to her. Its that time of year here when the lemons are coming into season, so I'll be making it again.

Gill in Canada

Anonymous said...

I buy my lemon butter from a craft shop for $6 a jar.... I buy it to help them out but I might have to give it a whirl as I have my own chooks, can get free lemons and have stacks of my own jars!!

Good job, they look so yummy!!

Rinelle said...

Mumma bear, you could try honey and oil, but I suspect that it's a reaction between the sugar and butter that makes it 'set'. Would be interested in hearing how it goes if you try it.