29 October 2008

Potato Cages

I haven't done much of a garden update lately simply because I haven't gotten around to taking any photos. But I have been working to my plan, and things are slowly starting to come together. The potato cages, shown on the left hand side of the house, are in.

I've managed to fit 4 sugar cane bale cages in and the two I originally planted with 9 potatoes each are powering along. I've just covered them with the second lot of mulch, they're growing so quickly. I planted 9 more potatoes in the next cage and will plant the final one in another few weeks time. We're still going on the last of the potatoes harvested from my first patch. Once this lot is gone, there is another patch to harvest. I'm not sure if those will be enough to carry us through to this lot maturing, but we'll have to wait and see.

And not really garden related (though it is a flower!) DD and I made this for her baby cousin, after her fascination with DD's dinosaur.

2 comments:

The Swelsh's said...

I found your blog a few weeks ago and have been lurking for a while. I love this idea,I have made things with the embroidered pictures my girls have made but this is really fun and easy and would be great for birthday presents for my girls nanna's... they are always so hard to buy/make for.
Belinda

Rinelle said...

Hi Belinda. Yes, they'd be a great idea for gifts! If you made them the right size, they'd make great cushions too.