6 February 2009

Op-Shop Bargains and another Nothing New Month

I've been re-visiting a lot of the local op-shops (thrift stores for those in the US) lately, and found some real bargains. Like the cushion inserts above, at $3 each. Sure, I've seen cushion inserts in stores for $3 each, but not this size, these are about 20 inches square. Perfect for DD's reading corner. The white object folded up on the bottom is actually a thin, cotton quilt, in perfect condition, it was $7. The folded up flannel sheets were $1.50 each because they had slight marks/not in top condition, which is not going to matter once I cut them up for hankies!

Then in another op-shop (where I went to buy zippers for covers for the new cushions, which incidentally I found for 20 cents each), I found these shirts on the $1 rack. Perfect for cutting up to make some smaller shirts for DD.

I love finding bargains at the op-shops. It feels so good to not only get something cheaply, but to know that I'm recycling in the real meaning of the word. These objects, which would otherwise be thrown out, are being used again. And when I'm finished with them, they'll be passed back to be used again. We waste so much in our world, it feels good to stop even a little of that.

However, despite finding bargains and some great deals, I think I've been going a bit overboard on the buying. Things are piling up, and we need some more cleaning and organising going on here. I have more material than I have time to sew, and more things than I have places to put them. So DH and I have decided to have another Nothing New month this month. Yes, I know we're already into February, and to make it neat I should wait until March, but when the mood hits you, it's best to start while you're motivated.

The exceptions to the Nothing New will be a particular set of bookshelves, or a particular couch, if they come up second hand this month.

2 comments:

Tania said...

I love op shopping, but I haven't been for ages as I am cleaning out my clutter and taking that to the op shop.

Where my parents live, in a country town in the middle of nowhere, there is a goodwill shop and have I found some bargains there. Really, really cheap. Most things are around 50 cents. Must go visit with them again soon.

Looks like you got some good things on your shopping venture.

We tend to buy secondhand goods if available rather than getting new.

Have a great weekend,

Tania

Rinelle said...

Hi Tania,

Yes, I'm trying to clean out and take stuff to the op shop too! Thus making a resolve to stay away from all shopping, and bring nothing new into the house this month. I really should try to get rid of stuff too, but we'll have to see how that goes I think.