5 February 2009

Sugar Cane

I've been trying to get hold of some sugar canes for growing for a while, but most of the online places won't ship to Queensland (because of quarantine I would assume, since a lot of sugar cane is grown here), so I haven't had much luck. That's why I was quite excited when I saw some at the markets on Sunday. They had normal canes, I assume for people to try, and some canes with leaves still on them for growing. I bought 4, and at 50c each, I thought they were quite a bargain!

Unfortunately, with the dentist appointment this week, we haven't had a chance to plant it, and it only went into the ground this afternoon. I don't know much about planting it, but the advice from my mum coincided with what I could find online, so I cut it into lengths, and put it in the ground on it's side.

Apparently, the new growth comes from these little buds on the side. Hopefully it will grow, and if not, I only lost $2.

One recommendation though, if you're going to try this, make sure you wear gloves. I didn't initially, and ended up with lots of very fine, very small, very painful hairs stuck into my hand. Ouch.

No comments: