14 September 2008

Bye Bye Teflon.

DH and I have always had an electric frypan, and up until now, they've all been teflon. It's pretty hard these days to buy a frypan that isn't teflon. Now aside from the fact that there have been numerous health risks linked to teflon (which scrapes off the pans quite easily), every single teflon pan we've had has lasted a maximum of 18 months. The teflon just scrapes off the pan so quickly, even if you're being super careful, that they have a very short lifespan indeed. Meaning that we have to regularly replace a frying pan that is working perfectly well.

This happens so regularly that we have several electric frying pan boxes holding all our Christmas ornaments. We'd buy a new one each year, when they came on special.

Well not anymore. Yesterday I went out and bought a stainless steel electric frying pan. No more icky teflon scraping off, no more replacing our frying pan each year, or feeling bad because the teflon was scraping off and we hadn't replaced it. Our new frying pan has a 25 year guarantee on the cooking surface. You won't find that on a teflon one any time soon!

We cooked pancakes in it for lunch today, and it worked beautifully. Looking forward to many more safely cooked meals, and a long and harmonious relationship with our new frying pan.

3 comments:

Tracie said...

Hi Rinelle,
I agree with you about teflon I bought a very expensive jamie oliver pan and I have only had it 12 months and the coating isn't lifting but has a funny look about it. I only use utensils that are recommended for teflon pans and nothing else,I use this pan daily, It is a great sized pan and it will go in the oven as well, but I wouldn't buy another teflon pan.

Have fun with the new frypan.

Tracie

Em said...

I have recently vowed to keep Teflon and black plastic utensils out of my house forever. I have been concerned for a while about Teflon but when we were setting up our home a year ago we got a good quality set of pots and pans which included a non stick pan but after about 9 months it was badly scratched with bits peeling off it. I have replaced it will a good stainless steel pan and now only use metal utensils after I noticed the plastic ones were giving any hot food they touched a strange flavour! Funny thing is I actually find the stainless steel pan far easier to clean than the non stick one ever was!

Rinelle said...

I agree Tracie, no more teflon pans in this house!

Em, that's a good point about the black plastic implements too. We have a black plastic egg flip, and the ends are suspiciously melted. I might have to switch it to a metal one now we have a stainless steel pan.