5 September 2008

Gift for a Baby

A few months ago I told my sister that I wanted to make something for the baby. There wasn't much point in my buying the usual baby clothes and toys, as I'm sure if my sister wanted any of those, she'd just go out and buy them. I figured something handmade would have more significance than anything I could buy, and luckily I think my sister agrees wtih me.

But I wanted it to be something she would use, rather than something I thought would be good. She asked for a teddy bear, a green one. I had planned to have it finished before the baby was born, but since she decided to come 9 days early, I didn't manage that one. (Yes, I like to cut things fine, I always work best under pressure.)

So here she is. Made with mint green fleece, from a pattern I bought at Spotlight. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. The original pattern was for a jointed bear with glass eyes, not really suitable for a baby, so I made a few modifications. Right now it's bigger than the baby is, but she'll grow. I can only hope that she still has this one when she grows up, as I still have the teddy I was given as a child.

No comments: