21 September 2008

Our First Egg!

DD and I were very excited today to discover our first egg! I'd almost given up looking, and was beginning to wonder if something was wrong with our chooks, but lo and behold, there it was. We almost missed it, I just happened to look through the window of the shed, and there it was. I would have liked to take a picture of it still in the nest, but DD was so excited she had to pick it up and bring it down to the house straight away. I figured this was the next best photo. I was really afraid she was going to drop it in her excitement, but she didn't. It's now sitting in our fridge, and DD wants to make pancakes with it tomorrow morning. I'm so looking forward to having more fresh eggs than we can eat, and hopefully some to share with our family and friends as well. One more step towards self-sufficiency.

I made DD the requested 'skirt like mummy's, so here it is. I actually did this up in about 15 minutes last night once DD was in bed, only to find this morning that it didn't fit her! Far too small. That will teach me to sew when my model is in bed. I cut it up the seam, and added in another panel, and it fits fine now.

I made this little dress today too, finally cutting up one of the fabrics I bought for clothes for DD. It's a really pretty dress, although it was a bit more fiddly than the others. It's also a little short. Wearable, but it won't last until next year. If I make another one like this, (and I probably will), I'll adjust the pattern to be a bit longer in both the skirt and the top. It was listed as a 6yo pattern though, so I didn't expect it to be this short! Guess the Japanese are shorter than my already very tall girl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We just got our first egg too! I thought it might be fun to look for other blog posts about first eggs, and yours came up. I took almost the exact same photo with my 3 year old holding the egg. Ours almost didn't make it back to the kitchen either :-).

Our first egg.