29 September 2008

More mulch than we know what to do with

Our 50 bales of sugar cane mulch arrived a couple of days ago. All I can say is Wow. Here it is stacked up against the side of the house, where it was unloaded. DD had a ball, climbing up and down the bales, and then jumping from one to the other once we moved some to the front garden. I've started spreading them around the front area, where I hope to cover the entire area in mulch. Let me tell you, I'm going to have heaps for that, and for several other projects I have in mind. It is such a lovely feeling to have so much mulch that I can just use lots of it, and for so many different things. I'm sure these bales will feature in many of my posts over the coming months.


We also harvested the first installment of our potato patch this afternoon. (I posted about making this here and here.) We were going to harvest the whole lot, as the plants had begun to yellow a little, but found that many of the potatoes are still quite small. They are plentiful though, this is the harvest from about 4 plants that we pulled up. It will probably do us about 3 or 4 meals. We'll probably keep harvesting from this patch now instead of buying them, but do it as needed rather than pulling the lot up at once, so that some of them will have a little longer to grow. I do want to get them out soon though, as I have plans to plant corn and pumpkins where they are growing now.

It is very satisfying to harvest your own food. Tonight we had potatoes and pumpkins that we grew ourselves. A short step closer to having a fully home grown meal!

No comments: