3 November 2008

Seed Raiders

DH called out to me today to come and look at these thieves, eating the seeds out of my sunflowers! There were two of them, and they were so beautiful I didn't have the heart to get upset at them. Unfortunately the pictures aren't the greatest, as I didn't have time to get the settings right on my camera, and was taking pics from indoors in DD's room, but aren't they magnificent? I think though, that I might have to cover the sunflowers with something, or we aren't going to get any seeds for ourselves!

And while I'm posting, here are the pictures from yesterday's harvest. Half a bucket of potatoes from the second potato patch (I planted 16), a bowl of cherry tomatoes from the bushes that self seeded and have received absolutely no care up in the old garden, and one almost perfect nectarine.

Decluttering and writing are still happening here, although we also mowed the lawn (all 3/4 of an acre of it, minus house/shed/gardens etc) with DH's dad's help. I have found heaps more things to get rid of, and the car is full right now of the playgym DD outgrew a year ago, the baby swing, and a box of toys. Can't count them though, until they are completely off the property! I'm almost on track for NaNo, just under 400 words to go today to make the quota. So I guess I'd better go get writing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, yummy fresh potatoes! i wonder if i should see if we have some to harvest? How long did you wait after planting??
And i have not visited your blog for yonks! i've really enjoyed my read this morning. I need more land. And the dresses are beautiful! I wish i could sew- i need more vegie bags.

Rinelle said...

Hi Chelle. You are supposed to wait to harvest potatoes until after they flower, and the plant died off. These never actually got to flower though, they were killed off by ladybugs before that. If you want to see if you have any potatoes though, just dig around under the plant and see. You won't hurt them. Just remember to make sure they're fully covered though, as potatoes exposed to the light will go green.

The vegie bags are one of the easiest things around to sew, if you decide to give something a go, just straight lines really.