15 June 2008

Growing Produce

Things are growing well in the garden now, and we're looking forward to some harvests soon. The recent rain we've had, along with all the work I've been doing on the soil and on fertilising (everything has gotten some rooster booster recently!) has been helping I think. You can see the peas here, with quite a few self seeded tomatoes growing among them.

I'm really looking forward to these peas! I've snacked on a couple of early ripening ones, but we should get a good few in the one picking in the next day or two! Of course, I somehow doubt it any will make it to the dinner pot, seems a waste to cook them.

I'm really impressed with the number of tomatoes on these Roma tomato bushes. They're much smaller than the other tomato plants I've grown, but whereas the other's only ever sported a few tomatoes, these ones are loaded! I'm unsure at this point whether this is because I've been working on the soil, or just because of the variety. More experimentation needed I think.

The broccoli and cauliflower are doing well too, the screen is doing a great job of keeping the bugs off, so certainly worth the effort I think. I have one broccoli plant, and 2 cauliflower that are just starting to flower. I also have a few plants in the seedling stage, and a few more seeds planted recently.

This is the navel orange tree that I planted in the chicken pen. All that new growth on the top has grown since I planted it, which was only 3-4 weeks ago! Apparently it likes it in the chicken pen! Not sure if it's the fact that it gets the chicken's drinking water poured on it every day, or the extra fertiliser it gets, but it's certainly happy. I think I'll have to plant a mandarin in here too.

No comments: