18 June 2008

Homespun Beanie

I finally finished DH's beanie last night. It's knitted from my homespun wool, the first I plyed. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, although it took a little more wool than I expected. I used up 2 of the 3 balls I spun, and a little bit of the 3rd.

It was pretty easy to make. First I cast on 20 stitches, and knitted a few rows of stocking stitch to get a gauge. Then I measured the length of those 20 stitches, divided that by 20, and multiplied it by the measurement around DH's head. In order to do a k1 p1 rib, you'll need a number that is divisible by 2, so round up or down depending on which way the wind is blowing.

I then cast that number of stitches onto my double point needles, and knitted in k1 p1 rib in the round until it was the length DH wanted. Then I did a few rows of alternated knit 2tog decreasing and plain knit rows, until there were only a few stitches left, then threaded the tail through the remaining stitches and secured the end.

If I was doing it again, I'd probably cast off a bit more slowly, as this was a pretty quick and not as smooth as I would have liked. Overall though, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks great Tam - it looks like it would take a lot of wool 'cause it's so thick - but it's probably very warm because of it ;)

Rinelle said...

Yep, it's definately very warm. DH often takes it off because he's become too warm.