4 June 2008

Warm feet!

Well, I did it. I knitted my first pair of socks. Though I've been an avid knitter since I was a child (I started about 5 I think), I've always been a bit nervous about trying knitting in the round. But after finding several tutorials, I figured I'd give it a go. And I have to say, they didn't turn out too badly at all.

After looking around at a few tutorials, I decided to use this one, at Tameson's Musing. I chose it over some others (Silver's Sock Class and Socks 101) mainly because I prefer the method of doing the heel. However, I'd definitely recommend checking out those two as well, as they have some great instructions and photos about knitting with double point needles that were really useful.

Knitting on double point needles definitely took a bit of practice. It feels very awkward, and preventing the spaces between the needles being all loose requires constant care, but overall, I really enjoyed it. Funnily enough, I found myself knitting inside out! With knitting in the round, you constantly use the knit stitch, and I still did this, but on the opposite side of the circle to me, with the knit side going down inside the sock.

I had to turn it inside out to do the toe and heel, which I did in a different colour, just for fun. I found it much more awkward knitting right side out, but luckily these bits don't take too long.

I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, although getting the sizing right is a bit tricky. Both these are a little too big around my foot, one more so than the other. It's extra difficult using homespun wool, as it's not a regular thickness, so I'm going to have to work the size out all over again next pair. And there will be a next pair. I'm addicted. Well, they might have to wait until after I knit the beanie I've been promising DH...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well done- they look fantastic!

Trini said...

Wow! What a great job!