5 February 2008

In the Garden

Today's Harvest

I picked our first cob of corn today. I was a bit worried they wouldn't have fertilised, as I've had bad luck with that in the past, but as you can see, it is a full (albeit small) cob of corn! I think I was a bit overeager though, as it was rather white, and probably could have done with another week's growing. It didn't have much flavour, but it was nice and tender.

I managed to find enough of a gap in the ever present rain to plant out all the fruit trees I bought at the market. Here is my peach tree, Tropical Beauty, which I've since read is a semi-freestone variety (freestone are the ones where the flesh doesn't stick to the stone), and is considered one of the best tropical peaches you can get.

While I was up there digging holes, I discovered that my cotton seeds are up already. Both of the ones in the garden, and 4 of the 6 up the back, with a 5th pushing up now.

They come up looking very wrinkled and sick, but after a little while, they open up into this beautiful doubled leafed seedling. Yes, I'm excited about these!

I also snapped a quick picture of my passion fruit vines while I was up there. I have a panama gold, and the old red one (can't remember the name). I doubt these will fruit this year, but hopefully they should be nice and big ready for next year. And yes, before you ask, I did tie my trellis wire to the star picket with zip ties.

I also noticed lots of new growth on my fig tree, which got a bit battered while waiting to be planted out (it's very tall, and kept falling over). I guess it likes this wet weather.

On a not so positive note, there is something wrong with my baby watermelon. It is starting to go brown and yuck near the end. I don't know if I planted them too late, or if it's just been too wet for them, or something else. I'm going to post over on Aussie's Living Simply and see if anyone there has any ideas.

No comments: