27 March 2008

Kitchen Knitting

I've always found knitting quite relaxing. As a child, I used to knit while reading a book, now I often do it while watching TV. This won't work with complicated patterns that require you to count stitches or rows though, as you risk loosing track (although that doesn't always stop me). That is why I like my kitchen knits. This is my replacement for what we always called 'green scratchies' in my house growing. I think some people call them scourers? Anyway, they're the rough scratchy things you use to do the washing up with.

I made this one a week or so ago, and have been using it instead of my scratchie since. It's made from 8 ply acrylic, 20 stitches on size 8 (4mm) needles, and just knitted until it seems the right size. I wasn't sure how it would go, but I've been surprised at how well it works. Although I still sometimes reach for the scratchie for really baked on grime, I suspect I wouldn't even need that if I soaked things. It does a great job of cleaning glasses, plates and cutlery, and is actually more pleasant to use. It doesn't wear away like a scratchie does, isn't hard and unbendable, and best of all, when it gets dirty, I chuck it in the wash and reach for the next one.

I've posted pics previously of my knitted dishcloths, well I have 2 now. The second, knitted in garter stitch, was much closer to a square shape, and I use both often. Again, they're really pleasant to use, feel nice on the hands, and do a good job of wiping down the benches and tables.

Guess I'd better get back to knitting!

No comments: