10 May 2008

Give it up!

That is the latest challenge on Aussie's Living Simply, and I'm doing my best to rise to the occasion. The picture I really need at the top of this post is a picture of a tissue box crossed out, but I don't have one, so you're going to have to do without. Yes, I'm giving up tissues! It's something I've been meaning to do for a while, as with all my allergies, we go through a LOT of tissues. Like a box every few weeks. At $2 a box, that's a few hundred dollars a year! And not to mention a bathroom rubbish bin that is always full of used tissues! The really cincher though was when I found out that tissues have formaldehyde in them! So DD and I are now switching over to hankies! Not a problem for DD, who prefers them anyway, I think because they are less floaty and irritating around her face.

Being me of course, I'm not going to go out and buy hankies, I set about making my own. I didn't have any suitable cotton (although I think old cotton sheets that are past their bed covering days would make lovely tissues, my old ones are all poly cotton from the days before I even looked at those sort of things), I decided to give flannel a go. I made up about 4 a month or so ago, and DD and I have been using them on and of (when they're clean), and found them definitely usable. So no more excuses! I cut up an old baby bunny rug that I found for 50c a the second hand shop, and a piece of flannel left over from my nappy making days, and overlocked the edges. Didn't take too long at all (except for threading back in the overlocker threads, I HATE that bit!)

And here they are! I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out, the colours actually look really pretty together, and I think we should have plenty to last us for a week or so if necessary (or if we have a cold!)

I think this challenge is going to be pretty easy!

No comments: