28 May 2008

Herbs

I've never been real big on herbs, mainly because I never knew what to do with them. When I was a kid, spaghetti was savory mince with pasta (I don't think my dad was too fond of tomato sauce!), then when I left home, I discovered bottled pasta sauces. A few years ago, I started experimenting with making my own. This, of course, lead to learning a bit about herbs. Which, in turn, lead to growing them.

I had the parsley for a while, but now that the tomato plants that were shadowing it are gone, it's really taking off. I bought some sweet basil and some oregano and planted it out, should have plenty. There is also a nasturtium in the middle and some comfrey (for making fertiliser) in there as well. At the back is my aloe vera plants, a very handy plant for sunburn and general skincare. In a pinch, it will also remove chlorine from water.

Since the first photo was taken, I've also planted some lemongrass, which I believe is useful for deterring mosquitoes. We certainly need all the help we can get with that!

I still have a lot to learn about herbs, and their use both in cooking, and in other areas, but I've made a start. Hopefully I'll see this section of the garden grow along with my knowledge over the next few years.

No comments: